Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Whole Grain Muffins


I have been baking these muffins for a long time. It's my favorite muffin recipe. They're healthy muffins. Not too sweet. Not much fat at all. Lots of fiber and whole grains.

The recipe comes from a good friend's Mom. When I was studying nutrition in college, I started collecting recipes. In a three-ring binder I still have, there are scraps and bits of papers with recipes scribbled out on them. There are pages of magazines torn out, hole punched, and added to the binder.

There is no organization whatsoever. The binder started as a cookbook assignment for a class. I had recipes organized nicely into categories. There were page numbers. But now, I never look at those pages, I flip to the back where all the scraps of paper are. That's where the good recipes are. The ones I've made over and over since college.

This muffin recipe is written on the back of a microbiology quiz, in purple glitter pen (nothing says college like purple glitter pen, right?). And there are stains on the paper. Proof that I've had it a long time, and made these muffins often.

You can also use this recipe as a base and add other ingredients you have on hand. Want apple muffins instead of raisin? Done. Substitute orange juice for the milk, and you have orange spice muffins. Add some extra flax seeds, or poppy seeds. Throw in a bit of buckwheat flour. I have never had these muffins fail.


Here's the batter. It's full of oatmeal, whole wheat flour, bran flakes, raisins and nuts.


This is another muffin trick I recently learned. Lay them on their side, either in the muffin tin, or on the counter while they cool. It will help keep the outside crisp and prevent it from getting a soggy bottom (NOT what you want in a muffin)!

The recipe makes about 32 muffins. Often times I freeze half to microwave for a quick breakfast. Or, this recipe is easily cut in half.



Ronnie's Whole Grain Muffins


2 c whole wheat flour
2 c rolled oats
2 c bran
Dash salt
2 tsp soda
walnuts and raisins (or any other filling you desire!)

2 eggs
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c honey
4 cups liquid (milk, soymilk, orange juice, water)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease your muffin tins well, or line with wrappers.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients.

Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until combined. Scoop into tins (about 1/3 c at a time) and bake 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and springy when touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment