Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Shrimp Curry with Butternut Squash


This dish turned out awesome. And it was a lot easier to make than I was expecting. The longest part was roasting the butternut squash, so if you're a planner and get that done ahead of time, it will be a breeze to make this curry up. 

And, it's such a great fall dish. It's warm and spicy, perfect for enjoying in a cold house! Iowa weather has been teasing us lately. There have been a few frosts, and a few days where it was in the high 40s. But, those are interspersed with sunshine-y 70 degree days. In November! I don't think I've ever experienced a 70 degree day in November before. And, let me tell you, it throws me off. 

Do I make the warm and cozy curry? Or, wait for an actually cold day?

Well, turns out, I had a bit of pumpkin left over (remember the pumpkin soup in a pumpkin, anyone?). So, I'm making curry! This is a great way to use up left over pumpkin. It makes the curry thick, and creamy. Of course, you can use canned pumpkin as well, for a shortcut if you don't have extra roasted pumpkin hanging around.


When I first started simmering this, I thought it looked a little off-color. Not as vibrant as I was expecting. Then I realized, I forgot to add the curry powder. That will make a difference! Don't forget the curry powder!


The left over pumpkin pureed surprisingly well! I was expecting a grainier texture, maybe with a few strings too. But, it came out perfectly smooth. Just like from a can!


The final key to making this curry taste awesome? The garnishes! That's some lime zest, there.


And some browned shallots here. (But, to be honest, I don't think it needs the browned shallots at all. I thought the lime zest was much more flavorful). Alternatively, I think some cashews on top would taste great too.





Pumpkin Shrimp Curry with Butternut Squash
Adapted from Bon Appetit


2 TBSP olive oil
1 c chopped onion
1 TBSP minced ginger
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 1/2 c pureed, roasted pumpkin, or 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (careful not to use pumpkin pie filling)
2 c vegetable broth
1 c lite, unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
1 c butternut squash, roasted and diced
1 lb frozen shrimp, tails removed
Juice of 1 lime
Brown rice
Lime zest
Fried shallots (optional)

Start by getting your brown rice cooking (1 cup brown rice to 2 cups boiling water. Cover. Simmer.) and your butternut squash roasting (400 degrees, for about 30 minutes. I cubed the squash first).

While the brown rice is cooking and the squash is roasting, heat oil in large frying pan. Add onion and ginger and cook briefly. Add garlic, continue to cook until fragrant. Add tomato and pumpkin puree and stir. Cook, stirring frequently until pumpkin is golden brown, about 10 minutes. (Note: I think I cheated on this step and didn't really cook the pumpkin that much).

Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry powder (don't forget this!) and cayenne pepper. Simmer, about 20 minutes.

While this is simmering, defrost the frozen shrimp under warm water.

Add squash, shrimp, and lime juice. Continue to simmer until everything is heated through.

Serve over brown rice and garnish with plenty of lime zest and fried shallots, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment