Thursday, December 22, 2011

Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad



Hi Readers! I hope some of you are still out there. Sorry for my absence.

Is anyone out there tired of all the sugary treats that surround the holidays? They're great, don't get me wrong. But, sometimes it's nice to balance out all that sugar with some vegetables. Don't worry, I have some really great sweet treat recipes to share with you for your Christmas (er, New Year's) baking.

But first, one of my favorite brussels sprout recipes.  There are a lot of holiday tables out there that include brussels sprouts, roasted, glazed, mixed with bacon. So, if you usually include these fun vegetables in your holiday meal, give this recipe a try. It doesn't even involve cooking!

I have had two people on separate occasions tell me they love this salad, and they usually hate brussels sprouts (one of whom was my Dad - and he's a very honest guy!)  That means (from my sample size of 2) this recipe is bound to be a crowd pleaser at your Christmas dinner (yes, even with the kids).

The hardest part of the whole recipe is the slicing of the brussels sprouts. Because they're tiny, and we're going for tiny slices here, it takes a bit of time. But, for me, there's nothing quite like chopping veggies to work out some of the stresses of the day (or the season). Or, if you have a fancy kitchen with a food processor, the slicing of the sprouts will be super easy!

After they're all sliced, you add a dressing, some chopped nuts, and a bit of shredded cheese. I've used all sorts of variations of nuts and cheese too, so you can use what you have at home. Almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, pecans. Parmesan, gruyere, romano, swiss? They all work!

Stir it all together and you're done. You can even make it ahead of time. Since the sprouts are raw, and fairly tough, they're not likely to wilt quickly. I've even had this salad the next day, and it still tastes great.



Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad
Adapted from glutenfreegirl.com


24 brussels sprouts, washed, ends trimmed
1/2-3/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
2 handfulls raw almonds, chopped
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
9 TBSP olive oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Start by thinly slicing the brussels sprouts. Having a sharp knife here works wonders. Or, toss them in a food processor to really speed things up. We're going for very thin slices, as thin as you can without getting cut.

Mix the sprouts, the cheese and the nuts in a large bowl.

To make the dressing, shake the cider vinegar, oil, and mustard vigorously in a jar (with a tight fitting lid). This is a good place for kids to help out. You'll know the dressing is ready when it has come together (emulsified) and there is no longer a separation of oil and vinegar.

Pour dressing on salad. Stir to coat well. Add some salt and pepper if you want.

2 comments:

  1. Annie, I didn't know you were blogging - it's great! I'm going to try this recipe, it looks delicious! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it! I just started the blog to keep me busy in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete